Monday, February 15, 2016

Early or Late

I get asked this question, "Is it better to have your quiet time in the morning or at night?" My answer is usually this: "Do whichever works best for you." Some people are just not morning people.  For me, again, FOR ME, it just works better to start my day with Him. Through the years this psalm from David has been very meaningful to me:


Psalms 63:1 NKJV  "O God, You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You In a dry and thirsty land Where there is no water."
There are several reasons. I'm just fresher in the morning, I enjoy giving my best strength and focus to prayer and Bible reading.  My thoughts are much clearer early rather than later in the day after I have met with people and led all day.  I want to hear His love whispers before the demands of the day begin to shout at me. I do enjoy lighter reading late at night that helps me wind down and rest better (this is another post for another day).

His Example

We are told in the gospels that Jesus prayed both early in the morning:
Mark 1:35 NKJV  Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed.
and into the night:

Luke 6:12 NKJV  Now it came to pass in those days that He went out to the mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.

The bottom line for me is that we don't have to pray, we get to.  We have the privilege of dialogue with infinite wisdom who LOVES us. How great is that?  

Just Do It

So here's my conclusion.  Do it. Just make time.  We all clear time in our schedule for what is truly important to us.  Morning or night, spend time gazing at His face in prayer and in the Scripture.  It will change your perspective and possibly your life. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It makes sense to start your day with the Lord. I find it flavors how I view the day, rather than coming to the close of the day finding that I barely gave thought to Him and having to repent for my foolishness. I need Him every hour...